Did you know that your eyes self lubricate, cleanse and fight infections every time you blink? Where you aware of this fact? And regardless as to whether you were aware of it or not, it still happens every time you blink. The point I’m illustrating is that something can be happening right around you or even within you, and you aren’t even aware of it.
The reason I raise this point is that for many, Jesus Christ is someone they may have heard about, or they know that Jesus is associated with Christianity but that’s about it. Some may have heard Sunday School stories when they were young but once they grew up and started making their own decisions, well that kid stuff kind of got pushed to the way side.
Christianity has the most adherents of any religion in the world, almost 2.5 billion as of 2010, according to wikipedia.org. That’s a heck of a lot of people. I’m aware that numbers in themselves don’t prove a religion is right, to the exclusion of all others, or even that God exists, but considering that Christianity is a historical religion, one that can be traced back in time and validated by Biblical archeology and textual criticism, plus eye witness reports, one has to admit that the historical, archeological and textual criticism evidence for Christianity must be substantial, and it is.
Over the years I’ve had an opportunity to speak to a good number of people about Jesus and you may find this surprising but this is what I have generally encountered:
- a lot of people have never taken the time to actually investigate what Christianity is about because they go with the flow that they presume most people believe, i.e., that God doesn’t exist and the pursuit of religion is viewed as something that others may need, but they don’t;
- a lot of people have never taken the time to look at the differences between the major religions of the world and they just assume that they’re basically all the same, but from different perspectives (which isn’t true);
- a lot of people have never actually taken the time to read the Bible for themselves. Not even once. They’ve heard that it has contradictions, is said to have borrowed from pagan religions and is historically unreliable, without actually checking to see whether these accusations are true (which they’re not), and in the vast majority of cases they don’t personally know of any contradictions, or personally know what pagan religions were borrowed from or personally know why the Bible is supposedly historically unreliable;
- a lot of people have listened to others who have said that there is no historical non-Biblical evidence that Jesus Christ even existed, without checking to see if this is true (which it isn’t);
- a lot of people think that basically they are good without ever honestly and truthfully questioning their own motives or acknowledging their own deficiencies and thereby tipping the scales in the other direction;
- a lot of people have two sets of rules, one set on how others should treat them and another set on how they should treat others, when in fact, if fairness and honesty is to be impartial, both sets should be one and the same;
- some people will admit that they believe in God but they do not wish to look further into it because basically they don’t want to know, they actually prefer not knowing;
- some people believe that science has proven that all that we see and all that we are, came about by sheer chance and that there is no need to think otherwise, when in fact science is now actually discovering the exact opposite (think DNA, a simple cell or the Big Bang);
- some people go through their entire life, be it short or long, and never gain any insight into the value and gift of life that we all have been given, other than to focus on self gain and gratification; and
- some people reject Jesus, without even taking the time to see if they can actually know Him.
I can understand someone being put off by things that have been done in the name of religion. I can understand someone being put off by things that have been done in the name of Christianity. I can even understand being put off by someone within the Church, because there isn’t one of us that is perfect, not one. But I’ve never, ever, personally, met anyone who honestly opened the door of their heart to Jesus and who came to know Him, like it is possible to know Him, that has ever turned back. And there is a reason for that.
You can’t actually meet Him, be in His presence, and not be changed.
And this reality is available for anyone who honestly and sincerely seeks Him.
Jesus is as close as your first honest and heartfelt prayer. Like what happens when you blink your eye, you may not be aware of it, but it is a reality.
Revelation 3:20 NIV “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.”
Worthy is the Lamb! Blessings!